Jump to content


Certification And Wages!

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel


    ADNet Staff

  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:22 PM

In order to be recognized as a "professional" you should have sufficiant training and education in a particular field, In order for Activity Professinals to be a recognized profession all Activity Director's should be ADC, Activity Assistants should be AAC, and all Activity Consultants should be ACC. How do you do this? NCCAP.org.
Some states do not recognize NCCAP educational standards and only require a state approved hours course, the NCCAP Mepap courses are the correct Activity Professional Curriculum. In California all that is required is a 36 hour course, I am now taking the Mepap training in order to do my job properly. I have the experience but what was taught did not meet my needs.
State courses are the minimum, NCCAP standards raise the profession.. hmm if all activity professionals were NCCAP certified...... More PAY!
Just so that you are all aware!

#2 Guest_PCB04_*

  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:24 AM


Yes on paper, the "initials behind your name" will make you look more professional and yes you should have sufficient training and education to be able to do your job to the best of your abilities. But as an Activity Director for many years, I have supervised and worked with many "professionals" who have had the traning and education but yet have not done a professional job. In other words, (my opinion) education and training while it does provide the tools to raise the standards, only the individual can raise their professional standards.

By the way, just because one obtains national certification, it certainly does not garauntee a raise!! I've found that out personally. Raises are up to the Administrator.

#3 Guest_Tinki_*

  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:59 PM

I am totally behind bettering your education! I think NCCAP is a great program, but I teach for the state of Texas, and I know that my program is just as good as NCCAP. All of the creators of this program are NCCAP consultants and Therapeutic Recreation Specialist and many possess of Master's, PhD and are authors within the field of Recreation.

I have also found that just because someone is certified to teach at any level does not mean that you will receive all the important experiences and information. It really depends on the instructor. I would personally take an Activity Course based on referral by AD's that you trust and know are professional. They will let you know just how good and instructor is!

Also it is important to network and to participate in CEU's and workshops. The best ways to get good ideas are from other Activity Professionals.


#4 Guest_Guest_Miguel_*

  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:05 AM

Of Course every state so far is doing its own course, I just think that we all need to be on the same page. I agree just because you are certified to be an Activity Professional doesnt mean you will be an excellent activity professional, it does requiere field expereince. I just feel that all Activity Professional regardless of what state should be certified through NCCAP as this would cause a "blanket" across the nation and all activity professionals will at least be getting the better basics and we can all be taken alot more seriously.

#5 Sarahrushing



  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

I have been the AC at my facility for 9 months now and have been doing school to be qualified. They are paying someone to oversee me and do the MDS's while I finish school. It would only make sense for me to get a raise when I have finished school and start doing the rest of the work that she has been.